- 1 Cup, split Masoor dal (Red Lentils)
- 1/2 ground turmeric
- 1-2 fresh hot green chilies , finely chopped (optional)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1.5 teaspoon salt , or to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 1 dried hot red chili
- 1/2 medium shallot/small sweet onion, peeled and cut into very fine slivers
1. Wash lentils thoroughly, place in a heavy botton sauce pan with 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil, skimming off any froth that rises to the top.
2. Stir in turmeric, green chilies, and garlic. Cover partially and simmer for about 15-20 minutes, add salt.
3. Put the oil in a small frying pan and set over medium high heat. When hot, add cumin seeds, let them sizzle for 3 seconds. Add the red chili and stir until it darkens. Add the shallots and fry until they turn redish brown.
4. Add the contents of the pan over the dal. Cover with tight fitting lid to trap aromas. Stir before serving.
Additionally, at step 1, you could add 3 tablespoons cooked rice, diced apple, cooked potato , etc. Any ingredient can be added in order to customize this lentil dish to your liking.