Indian Chickpea and Onion Fritters with Fresh Green Chutney
- Complexity: Medium
- Total Time: 20 min
- ¼ C plain yogurt
- ¼ C mint, coarsely chopped
- ¼ C cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 2 TBSP lemon juice, fresh
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ C plain yogurt
- Blend ¼ C yogurt and salt for 10 seconds. In a small bowl, combine remaining yogurt and other ingredients, whisking until smooth. Set aside until serving.
- 1 egg
- ¼ C water
- 1 TBSP lemon juice, fresh
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 TBSP cilantro, minced
- 1 C chickpea flour
- 1 medium-size sweet onion, medium diced (½”)
- Canola, peanut or other frying oil
- Whisk egg, water and lemon juice until combined. Add salt, garam masala, cumin, turmeric and cayenne pepper and whisk well. Using a metal spoon, stir in cilantro and chickpea flour and allow the batter to rest for 10 minutes.
- When the resting period is nearly over, pour oil in a large stock pot till it reaches 2” up on the sides of the pan. Place over medium high heat and allow oil to heat till you feel warmth radiating above the oil and just begin to smell the warm oil.
- Separate the diced onions so that none of the onions are sticking to each other and stir the onions into the flour mixture. Test the oil for readiness by dropping a dollop of the batter into the oil. It should bubble, sizzle and immediately float to the surface if the oil is hot enough.
- Cook the fritters by dropping generous tablespoons of batter into the oil, being careful not to crowd the pan. Fry for 2 minutes on each side, till golden brown. Remove from the oil and place on a paper towel lined cooling rack.
- Let cool for 2-3 minutes and serve warm with green chutney for dipping.