- Complexity: Medium
- Srv: 12
- Prep: 1.5 hrs
- Total Time: 3 hrs
- 1 C cranberries, chopped finely in a blender
- ½ C sugar
- 1 ½ tsp orange zest
- Combine the cranberries, sugar and zest in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes, until thick. Remove from heat and let cool.
- 1 C milk
- ½ C water
- ¾ C instant potato flakes
- ¼ unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 2 eggs
- 4 C all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ C sugar
- 1 TBSP active dry yeast
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, warm the milk and water until they begin to boil. Add the instant potato flakes, cover and let rest for 5 minutes. Uncover the pan and whisk until smooth. Add the butter, pieces whisking until melted. Add the eggs one at a time, whisking thoroughly after adding each egg. In the bowl of your mixer, combine the flour, salt, sugar and yeast and mix on medium-low with the paddle attachment until combined. Add the warm mashed potato mixture to the mixture and mix on medium-low until the mixture begins to combine. Switch to the dough hook and increase the speed to medium. Mix for 7-8 minutes, adding flour if needed until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl, but still sticks to the bottom. The dough should be smooth, elastic and have a slight tacky feeling when it is done. Place the dough on a lightly floured counter top and form it into a ball. Place the dough ball inside a large bowl that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Cover with saran wrap and let rise until doubled, approximately 1.5 hours.
- Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll out into a 12” x 21” rectangle. Spread the cranberry filling over the dough to within ½” of the edges. Fold the dough lengthwise in 1/3, and repeat folding the other side of the dough in lengthwise in 1/3, enclosing the filling. Press all the edges to seal.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into 12, 1” strips. Lift one strip up, holding both ends and twist 3 times. Pinch the ends together to form on a circle and place on the prepared baking sheets. Repeat with the remaining dough strips, evenly spacing 6 dough wreaths on each baking sheet. Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and let rise till doubled, 45-60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Bake the cranberry wreaths for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack.
- 1 C powdered sugar
- ½ tsp lemon extract
- 2 TBSP milk
- In a small bowl whisk the powdered sugar, milk, and lemon extract till smooth.
- Drizzle the glaze atop the warm rolls.