- Srv: 12
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total Time: 30 min
- Cal: 207
- By: Allrecipes.com
These lovely old-fashioned scones are very light; they will literally melt in your mouth! The recipe is very versatile. Substitute your favorite flavor of yogurt and add a tablespoon or two of a chopped complementary fruit, raisins, or currants instead of the lavender. Serve with honey, fruit preserves, or if you're lucky enough to be able to get it, clotted cream.
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup lemon yogurt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ cup cold butter, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 ½ teaspoons lavender flowers
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted, or as needed
- 1 teaspoon white sugar, or as needed
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Stir baking soda and yogurt together in a bowl.
- Sift flour, 1/3 cup sugar, and baking powder together in a bowl. Cut cold butter into flour mixture using a pastry cutter or two forks until mixture is crumbly.
- Mix yogurt mixture, 2 tablespoons melted butter, egg, lavender, and lemon zest in a separate bowl. Stir yogurt-lavender mixture into flour mixture until just moistened.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead 8 to 10 times, adding more flour if dough is too sticky.
- Divide dough into 2 pieces and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Pat and shape each piece into a 6-inch circle. Score each circle into 6 wedges using a sharp floured knife. Brush tops with 1 tablespoon melted butter; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon white sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven until scones are just golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven, break into wedges, and cool on a wire rack.
Check out the original recipe here on Allrecipes.com!