Blueberry Polenta Cake
- Complexity: Medium
- Srv: 10
- Total Time: 1.5 hrs
Cake can be made with different fruits, herbs, or even plain. Try rosemary, thyme, or lemon zest; line pan with thinly sliced citrus, or toss with blackberries instead of blueberries.
- 1/2 C butter, room temp
- 1 T lavender, crushed
- 3/4 C polenta, toasted
- 1 C all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 C olive oil
- 5 eggs, room temp
- 2 yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/3 c sugar
- 2 C blueberries
To make lavender sugar
- Process 1 cup white sugar with 1 tsp dried lavender until finely ground.
To toast polenta
- Add polenta to dry skillet over medium heat; shake occasionally and toast until lightly browned and fragrant.
To make and assemble the cake
- Preheat oven to 325F
- Grease 10” round cake pan & dust with lavender sugar.
- Sift dry ingredients and set aside.
- Mix eggs, yolks, olive oil, and vanilla in a separate bowl.
- Cream butter & sugar until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add egg mix to the butter/sugar mix.
- Fold in dry mix, plus lavender.
- Toss blueberries in flour; fold into batter.
- Pour into prepared pan (batter will be thick, similar to muffin batter).
- Bake for 40-45 min, or until firm to touch and toothpick is clean of crumbs.