- Complexity: Medium
- Srv: 6
- Total Time: 1.5 hrs
Directions to cook the steak and finish assembling the salad:
Preheat the oven to 400°. Heat a large cast iron skillet or a heavy-bottomed frying pan over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes, until the pan is radiating heat when you hold your hand 1” above it. Generously salt and pepper the filet mignon and rub each side with olive oil. Place the filets into the pan and leave them completely undisturbed for 3 minutes. Using tongs, flips the steaks over and move them slightly so they cook on a part of the pan that didn’t have a steak on it previously. Allow the steaks to cook for another 2 minutes and 30 seconds. Then immediately place the pan into the oven to finish cooking. Cook in the oven for 4 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, place the steaks on a cutting board and top each steak with 1 TBSP of compound butter. Let the steaks rest for 3-4 minutes. Slice diagonally into 1/3” thick slices. Lay the steak strips atop the salad and serve immediately.
- 4 filet mignon steaks, about 1” thick
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Allow the steak to sit out for about 30 minutes until it reaches room temperature; this will ensure it cooks evenly. While the steak comes to temperature, make the compound butter and salad dressing and prep the salad plates.
- 1⁄4 C unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp red curry paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 TBSP cilantro, minced
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- Mix all the ingredients in a small glass bowl with a fork until well combined. Set aside.
- 1 C coconut milk
- 1⁄2 C peanut butter
- 1⁄2 C lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 TBSP red curry paste
- 1 garlic clove
- 1” knob of ginger, peeled
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 2 TBSP brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cilantro leaves, destemmed
- Sriracha, optional
- Blend all ingredients, except cilantro and Sriracha, for 1-2 minutes or until smooth. Taste the dressing for spiciness. If you prefer it spicier, add either 1 more tsp of curry paste or Sriracha, blend, taste, and continue adding until you reach your desired spice level. Add the cilantro and blend for 5-15 seconds, until the cilantro is in small pieces throughout the dressing. Pour into your desired serving container.
- 2 heads of Butter lettuce or baby Romaine
- 1 bag of coleslaw mix (shredded red and green cabbages, carrots)
- 1 bunch radishes, washed and sliced 1⁄4” thick
- 1 English cucumber, partially peeled and sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced into 1⁄2” slices
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 C peanuts, crushed
- Layer the ingredients in circular fashion making half the plate butter lettuce and then evenly distributing the rest of the plate space between coleslaw, radishes, cucumber, avocado and cilantro. Sprinkle with peanuts.