Orange Gnocchi & Halibut
- Complexity: Medium
- Srv: 6
- Total Time: 1 hr
- By: Weinhard Café
- 4 Yukon Potatoes
- 6 Egg Yolks
- ½ Cup Ricotta
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
- ½ Cup Flour
- 1 Orange Zested
- Pre-Heat oven to 350. Take the cleaned potatoes rub with oil and coat with salt then roast until tender in the middle. Separate your eggs and set to the side. When potatoes are finished, peel and put through a ricer into a bowl. Add the egg yolks, salt, ricotta, orange zest, and flour. Mix by hand until it comes together and holds its shape may need more flour. Put in fridge to cool.
- Fill a pot with water salt to taste like the ocean and bring to a boil. While waiting for your water to boil, get the gnocchi dough cooled down. Remove from the bowl and split into quarters using flower to help keep from sticking. Flour your work surface and roll out each quarter until about 1/2” thick spaghetti shape. Cut into 1” pieces. When the water is boiling add your gnocchi in shifts you will cook for 1 minute after they start to float. Remove from water and place into an ice bath to stop them from cooking.
- 6 6oz pieces of Halibut
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Juiced Orange – using the orange from the gnocchi zest
- ½ cup Semillon
- Kosher salt, White Pepper
- 2 sauté pans
- Clean your asparagus by grabbing the asparagus on each side and bend until it breaks this is the natural place for the asparagus to begin its tender area. Toss the asparagus in 1 tablespoon olive oil season with salt and pepper. Place on a cookie sheet and place in the oven to roast at 350 degrees.
- In one pan begin to heat the olive oil. Take your halibut filets and season with salt and white pepper. When pan is hot place you halibut filets belly side down as this is the presentation side of the fish. Depending on the size of the filets you will want to cook for 4-6 minutes on each side. While the halibut is cooking in your other sauté pan add 3 tablespoons of butter and heat until the butter is just starting to brown, add the gnocchi to this pan and season with salt and pepper. Be careful not to play with these too much as you can break them. Let them brown on one side and then rotate in the pan when browned on both sides they are done.
- Remove you halibut from the pan deglaze pan with the Semillon, add orange juice and reduce by half. Turn off heat and stir in the remainder of the butter must be cold.
- To plate place gnocchi down on the plate, angle the halibut off the gnocchi, slant the asparagus off the halibut and sauce the halibut with the Semillon sauce.