Pizza Dough and Pesto Butter
- Complexity: Medium
- Srv: 8
- Total Time: 26 hrs
- 333 g all purpose flour (about 2½ C)
- 1¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp active dry yeast
- 1 C + 2 TBSP water
- Whisk flour, salt and yeast together in a medium sized bowl. Add water and mix with a wooden spoon until all the flour is moistened and it becomes a loose ball. Cover the dough and let rest for 18-24 hours.
- One hour before baking the pizza, generously sprinkle the counter with flour and dump the dough onto the flour. Divide the dough in half and gather the corners of the dough to form 2 loose balls. Place the balls, seam side down on the flour, cover with a towel and let rest for 1 hour.
- Place a pizza stone in the top third of the oven and preheat the oven to 500. Let the stone preheat for 45 minutes. When it is time to bake the pizza, sprinkle cornmeal on a pizza peel or the back of a cookie sheet and flour your hands well.
- Stretch the pizza dough until it is roughly ¼ thick and place it atop the cornmeal. Turn the oven to broil and spread a thin layer of sauce on the pizza.
- You can make a large pizza, or a number of smaller ones. Place the pizza on the stone and bake for 3-5 minutes, till the edges begin to brown. Remove the par baked pizza from the oven and let sit for up to 2 hours at room temperature or refrigerated overnight. Top with your favorite toppings!
- ½ C salted butter, room temperature
- ¼ -½ C pesto
- Using a hand mixer on medium speed, whip the butter and pesto together in a bowl till thoroughly combined. About 2 minutes. Spread on pizza dough, then top with your favorite toppings!