Savory Apple Pizza
- Complexity: Easy
- Srv: 4
- Total Time: 45 min
- Pizza dough or pre-made pizza crust
- Vegan cheese, preferably smoked
- 2 tbsp oil, divided (grape seed or olive oil)
- ½ medium white onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and chopped
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp raw cane sugar
- pinch salt
- ¼ cup chopped candied walnuts (*recipe below)
- 1T chopped Italian parsley
- pinch grated nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 425deg
- In a small frying pan, add 1 T oil and over medium heat sauté onions until soft and starting to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl toss together apples with the fresh rosemary and lemon juice. Add to the onions, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and sugar, and continue cooking for a few more minutes.
- If using home made or purchased dough, stretch out to a rectangular shape. Place dough/crust onto a cookie sheet, or a perforated style pizza pan if available. Lightly flour the surface so the pizza can be removed when finished baking.
- Brush dough (or purchased crust) with the remaining 1T of oil, evenly spread apple mixture on the pizza. Grate or spoon vegan cheese over the top then bake for about 15 minutes. Watch for crust to brown and toppings to bubble.
- Remove pizza, cut into pieces, and garnish with candied walnuts, parsley and nutmeg.
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- Toss the walnuts with maple syrup until coated. Spread out on a cookie sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Let cool to room temperature.
This can be done ahead of time, candied walnuts will keep for at least a week in an airtight container.