Artichoke Wheat Berry Salad
- Complexity: Easy
- Srv: 12
- Total Time: 30 min, plus overnight soaking
- 1 cup whole wheat berries
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 green onions, sliced- tops and all
- 1 small yellow pepper, seeded and diced
- 20 stuffed olives, sliced
- 2 6 ounce jars marinated artichoke hearts, drained (reserve marinade)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, light
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- Heat chicken broth and add whole wheat. Simmer ½ hour; refrigerate mixture overnight.
- In the morning, simmer wheat until soft, approximately ½ to 1 hour; drain excess liquid. Add green onions, pepper, olives and drained artichokes to wheat berries. Blend mayonnaise and curry powder into ¼ cup reserved artichoke marinade until smooth. Add to wheat mixture and mix thoroughly. Chill several hours before serving or overnight.
Use only clean untreated wheat. By soaking the wheat overnight, cooking time is cut in half.