Grilled Octopus Salad with Northwest Greens
- Complexity: Medium
- Srv: 4
- Total Time: 1 hr
- By: Table 13
Poached Grilled Octopus
- 1 lb baby octopus
- 1 lemon
- 1 shallot
- 1 large carrot
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon peppercorns
- Fresh Italian parsley
- Prep a court bouillon: Fill a 2-quart pan about ⅔ full with cold water. Just enough to submerge all of the octopi you're going to poach.
- Roughly chop shallot, carrot, celery and add to water. Cut lemon in half, squeeze, and add to water.
- Next, add bay leaf, salt, and peppercorns.
- Bring water to a boil and lower a simmer. Continue simmering, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low so that only a few bubbles break the surface.
- Add the cleaned octopus to the simmering court bouillon and cover, cooking for approximately 40 minutes. The octopus will be done when the tip of a sharp knife can be inserted into the underside.
- Once octopus is poached, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and set aside. Make Vinaigrette
- Once octopus is marinated in olive oil, place on a grill to get a nice char, about 2-3 minutes on each side
- Slice octopus into bite sized pieces.
- Juice of half a lime
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp lemongrass
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- Pinch of garam masala
- Pinch of cardamom
- 1 tbsp green onions
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Add all the vinaigrette ingredients (except for the olive oil) to a bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Taste and adjust as needed, a little separation is okay.
- Baby arugula
- Baby mizuna
- Red and green oakleaf
- Red and green butterhead lettuce
- Sliced pink scarlet turnips
- Pickled fennel
- Grapefruit slices
- Valencia orange slices
- Extra virgin olive oil aioli
- Parsley oil
- To Plate: Start to arrange the greens in a bowl. Drizzle on the vinaigrette, being careful not to overdress and wilt the greens
- On a plate, place your tossed greens and top with sliced octopus
- Garnish with radishes, pickled fennel, grapefruit slices and valencia orange slices
- Add a few drops of the aioli and parsley oil on the side for dipping the octopus.