- Complexity: Medium
- Srv: 6
- Total Time: 30 min
- By: Dick's Hamburgers
- 2 russet potatoes (about 1 3/4 lb), scrubbed
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Peel the potatoes, leaving a bit of skin on, if you like, for added flavor. Cut each potato lengthwise into about 1/4-inch slices, then cut the slices lengthwise into 1/4-inch strips. Transfer to a bowl of cold water.
- Add a couple of inches of oil to a Dutch oven or similar broad, deep pot (no more than half full). Heat the oil to 325 F over medium heat. Line a rimmed baking sheet with a metal cooling rack or paper towels.
- While the oil is heating, drain the potatoes, scatter on a kitchen towel or paper towel, and pat dry. Carefully add the potatoes to the heated oil in batches (if the oil bubbles up near the pan edge, cook half at a time, this and the next step) and fry until partly tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Use a wire-mesh skimmer or a large slotted metal spoon to transfer the potatoes to the lined baking sheet.
- Heat the oil to 375 F over medium-high heat. When heated, carefully add the potatoes in batches and fry until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Use the skimmer or slotted spoon to gently stir the potatoes, to help brown evenly. Lift out the potatoes and drain on the lined baking sheet, then season with salt. Serve right away, while still warm.