- Complexity: Easy
- Srv: 4
- Total Time: 1.5 hrs, plus 5 minutes finishing time
- By: Anchovies & Olives in Seattle
- 2 cups dried chickpeas
- 6 cups canola oil for frying
- 2 1⁄2 T smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 T salt plus more for cooking chickpeas
- Place dried chickpeas in a large pot and cover with cold water. Season the water liberally with salt. Bring to a boil and lower the temperature to a low simmer. Cook chickpeas until they are tender and cooked through, approximately 1-1 1⁄2 hours. Remove from heat, drain, and cool until needed.
- On the stovetop, heat the canola oil to 350 degrees. Temp it with a thermometer and lower the heat to maintain a constant 350 degrees. Once the canola oil is up to temperature, fry the chickpeas until golden brown, approximately 4-5 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Add the fried chickpeas to a medium mixing bowl and sprinkle with smoked paprika, salt, and lemon juice. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed. Serve warm. Enjoy!