- Complexity: Medium
- Srv: 6
- Total Time: 45 min
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 medium size onion, finely diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 TBSP soy sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 3 C water
- 1 C brown lentils, rinsed
- ¾ tsp salt
- Fresh spinach, cut into ½” wide ribbons
- Fresh Parmesan cheese
- Cooked pasta of your choice, orecchiette is my favorite
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large stock pot. Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the carrots and sauté for an additional 3 minutes, until the carrots begin to soften. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add basil through lentils and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Turn heat to medium-low, cover and boil for 25-30 minutes, until the lentils are cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
- Add salt, increasing amount to taste, if necessary. Place cooked pasta into a serving bowl, topped by sliced spinach, lentil ragu, and fresh parmesan cheese.