Red Wine Apple Gremolata and Caramel Apple Butter Carrots
- Complexity: Medium
- Srv: 4
- Total Time: 20 min
- By: Bon Vino's
Red Wine Apple Gremolata
- 2 medium tart apples, such as Granny Smith
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh Cilantro
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh Sage
- 1 tablespoon crushed Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Horseradish
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Finely grated zest of 1 medium lemon
- 1/2 cup red wine reduced to ¼ cup
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Peel, core, and cut the apples into small dice. Place the apples in a medium nonreactive bowl, add the red wine and mix with apples. Then add parsley, cilantro, sage, garlic, horseradish, olive oil, and zest, season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine. Then cover, and refrigerate until ready to use. Be careful not to prepare too far ahead, as apples will brown on you.
Carmel Apple Butter Carrots
- 3 cups Cubed Red Delicious Apples
- 1 1⁄2 cups peeled Baby Carrots
- 3 tablespoons Brandy
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Butter
- 1/4 cup firmly packed Brown Sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup Dried Cranberries
- ¼ cup Orange Juice
- Cook carrots in boiling water with salt for 3 minutes, then strain water off. Then in a saucepan, add butter and brown sugar. Make a caramel by stirring for 2-3 minutes, make sure it is nice and bubbly.
- Then add the apples, cinnamon, and brandy and cook for 1-2 minutes. Be careful the brandy will flame on you.
- Add the carrots and dried cranberries and cook until carrots are hot. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Use the orange juice at any time you think your pan is getting too hot.