- Complexity: Medium
- Srv: 8
- Total Time: 30 min
- By: Sweet Frostings
- 3 ¼ cup powdered sugar
- ¾ cup good quality cocoa powder
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 1-4 tablespoon half and half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Sift powdered sugar and cocoa together into a large bowl. In another bowl, or the bowl of a stand mixture, combine 1 cup of the sugar mixture with the butter and 1 tablespoon half and half and beat until smooth. Continue adding until all ingredients are combined and the frosting is fluffy. Beat in the vanilla and continue until light and fluffy.
Ultimate Chocolate Cupcakes
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks, room temperature
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon, vegetable or canola oil
- 2 teaspoons good quality vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup full fat sour cream
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup room temperature water
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. In a medium bowl, cream butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. About 5 minutes.
- Melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips in the microwave and let cool to room temperature. When cool add to butter mixture and mix until just combined. Mix in eggs and egg yolks one at a time until just combined. Mix in oil, vanilla and sour cream until just combined.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, espresso powder and cocoa powder into a separate medium sized mixing bowl. Whisk together after sifting to make sure it is well combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in 3 additions, mixing until just combined after each addition. Mix in water making sure to turn mixer speed to low while adding the water. Mix until just combined and the batter is smooth. About 1 minute. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and put in the oven.
- Check at 18 minutes for doneness. Insert a toothpick in the middle of one cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean the cupcakes are done. If the toothpick has crumbs when removed, bake another 2 minutes and check again. Continue until toothpick comes out clean when removed.
- Let stand in hot cupcake pans for 5 minutes and then remove to a cooling rack until cooled to room temperature. Frost with your favorite frosting!