- Complexity: Easy
- Srv: 6
- Total Time: 1 hr
- By: Montalcino Ristorante Italiano
For the Pasta
- 2 potatoes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
For the Sauce
- 2 T olive oil
- 5 basil leaves
- crushed tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 5 shakes of red pepper flakes
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Peel potatoes and add to pot. Cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool and mash with a fork or potato masher.
- Combine 1 cup mashed potato, flour and egg in a large bowl. Knead until dough forms a ball. Shape small portions of the dough into long "snakes". On a floured surface, cut snakes into half-inch pieces.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Drop in gnocchi and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until gnocchi have risen to the top; drain and serve.
- For the sauce, mince garlic and cut up basil. Combine olive oil, garlic, basil, red pepper flakes and the crushed tomatoes in a medium saucepan. Bring the sauce to a boil, then let simmer for 15 minutes.